Our Reporting API enables you to build your own reports with data from TimeLog, e.g. in a dashboard. You find the settings in the System administration -> Integrations and API -> Reporting API settings.
API is short for Application Programming Interface. If you do not have experience with development and linking of systems, it might be a challenge to understand what an API actually is. That is why we provide you with a short description of what an API is.
What is an API?
An API is a communication tool which makes it possible for software systems to “talk to each other”. It enables you to send data between the systems and do updates in real time, so you always have the latest updates data across the systems.
A few examples:
- Information from TimeLog to dashboards in Power BI
- Transfer of invoices from TimeLog to your financial system
- Transfer of salary data to your salary system
- Update of contact information from your website to your CRM system
You gain several benefits from using an API, e.g.:
- You save many manual entries, as data can flow freely between the systems
- You get the right data with ongoing real time updates
- It is easier and faster for your developers to develop new solutions and connect your IT landscape
Extract data from TimeLog with Reporting API
To extract data from TimeLog, you need a technical setup.
- Set up an ID and a password in TimeLog, which you need together with the Site Code to gain access
- Adjust the URL in the example below, so it matches the information from your TimeLog. You need to replace X with a number and account name with the one you use to log into TimeLog. https://app[X].timelog.com/[account name]/service.asmx
- Follow the steps we have described at api.timelog.com. You may need help from your internal IT administrator to make it work.